Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Loaded Black Bean Soup


I found this recipe on the blog Jamiecooksitup.blogspot and it sounded good so I decided to make it. About half way through I began to doubt the tasteyness of this soup. To my utter and complete surprise not only did I think it was delicious but my kids did too. I doubled the recipe and froze it in 1 1/2 c. increments in sandwich bags that way I can just defrost a bag for a quick lunch or to use in other recipes that call for black beans.
I made this soup on a warm day.... not a good idea. My house was SO hot when I got done because a pot simmering on the stove for 2 1/2 hours gives off a lot of heat! I think this would be great in the winter or for on a rainy day.

Here's what you will need:
3 c. dried black beans
4 bullion cubes
12-16 c. water
1 T. canola oil
2 green or red peppers, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 1/2 T. cumin
2 T. oregano
1 1/2 T. sugar
2 tsp. salt

Toppings:
ham
red onion
avocado
lime
cilantro
sour cream
cheddar cheese
tortilla chips

Put the beans, bullion, and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat and let simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
When he beans are soft and cooked through, heat a large skillet and add oil. Saute the chopped onion and pepper, until he onion is golden brown.


Blend the cooked onions and pepper in a blender with 1/2 c. water, the cumin, and oregano. Don't puree this, just get it blended up a bit, so there are still some chunks in the mixture.
Add the onion/seasoning mixture to the soup, then ass the sugar and salt. Simmer for 10 min. Serve with toppings

To Freeze:
Put a sandwich bag in a cup with the top hanging over the edges. Place 1 1/2 c. of the soup in each bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal. Lay flat in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment