Monday, March 28, 2011

White Bread


I NEVER have luck with bread. I have tried a million times and it either turns out too dense, or not cooked in the middle, or the crust is too dark. I found this recipe on my sister-in-law's recipe blog (doublethedeliciousness.blogspot.com) and the girls and I gave it a try. Turns out, I just needed a little help from some cuties with the magic touch.

Here's what you will need:
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups HOT water
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
5 Tablespoons oil
6 cups flour, divided

Put the yeast in the 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit. Mix together the Hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour in a mixer (kitchen aide or bosch or whatever you have). Mix with whips until dough is smooth. Pour in the yeast and rest of the flour and trade in your dough arm in your mixer. Turn mixer on and add more flour if needed (the dough should "clean" your bowl) and let it knead the dough for about 10 minutes.




Meanwhile, grease 2 bread pans (I just spray mine!). When the dough is finished kneading separate it into 2 loaves and work it into a loaf. I've seen people roll their dough out and then roll it and pinch the ends...it's supposed to make it so there are no air pockets, but I just work mine with my hands and I've never had a problem with air pockets so whichever you perfer I guess!:) Place each loaf in a pan and cover with a dish towel and let raise for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place loaves in oven and cook for about 35-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and butter the top while still warm. You can now take them out of the pans and eat. They are a little hard to cut when it is so warm, but so yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment